Re: 2.6.17-rc5 does not build for sparc

On 5/28/06, BERTRAND Joël <mt1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob Breuer a écrit :
> Krzysztof Helt wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I tried to build the 2.6.17-rc5 for sparc with SMP enabled. The
>>kernel was not build due to a missing macro. Here is a patch
>>which fixes this (I copied the macro from a sparc64 header).
>>

> That's not all that is broken.  I think I have what could be 4 separate
> patches for smp here: (combined in the attached patch)
>   1. add topology_init - fixes a boot time crash
>   2. setup cpu_possible_map - actually boot the additional cpu's
>   3. fix smp related section mismatch warnings
>   4. add the missing *_can_lock macros
>
> If you are running a local framebuffer, you may encounter a problem with
> vmalloc.  Adding "migration_cost=10000" to the kernel command line
> should cover up the problem.
>
> I haven't had the time to give it a thorough testing and see if it
> self-recompiles recently, but I was previously able to successfully
> rebuild the kernel with "make -j6" on a dual SuperSPARC II.

        I have tried your patch too and I only can randomly use a SS20 with two
SSI/75 (448 MB). I have tested the last kernel proposed on the
debian-sparc mailing list without any trouble but with only one SSII
(SMP is broken but I haven't seen any DMA error).

        Question : does somebody use a SS20 with four ROSS ? I have seens a
very strange trouble. I have a lot of RT626, SS20 and memory chips. With
all configurations I have tested with more than two RT626, Solaris 9
returns "watchdog reset". All motherboards have been tested and work
fine. Same observations for RT626 and memory. Thus, I don't know if the
trouble I have seen with Linux 2.6 and 4*RT626 come from hardware
incompatibility or software mistake. Any idea ? Currently, I retest a
SS20 with Solaris 9 and 2*RT626 and I have built without any trouble
gcc-4.1.0 and gcc-4.1.1.

sorry, I had one, quad 150 MHz, but I threw it away in january, 2.2
worked but not 2.4, and sparc32 smp is as far as I understand... well,
dead in 2.6....

--
Cheers,

/ChJ