Re: 2.6.17-rc5 does not build for sparc

Bob Breuer a écrit :
Krzysztof Helt wrote:

Hello,

I tried to build the 2.6.17-rc5 for sparc with SMP enabled. The
kernel was not build due to a missing macro. Here is a patch
which fixes this (I copied the macro from a sparc64 header).

That's not all that is broken.  I think I have what could be 4 separate
patches for smp here: (combined in the attached patch)
  1. add topology_init - fixes a boot time crash
  2. setup cpu_possible_map - actually boot the additional cpu's
  3. fix smp related section mismatch warnings
  4. add the missing *_can_lock macros

If you are running a local framebuffer, you may encounter a problem with
vmalloc.  Adding "migration_cost=10000" to the kernel command line
should cover up the problem.

I haven't had the time to give it a thorough testing and see if it
self-recompiles recently, but I was previously able to successfully
rebuild the kernel with "make -j6" on a dual SuperSPARC II.

I have tried your patch too and I only can randomly use a SS20 with two SSI/75 (448 MB). I have tested the last kernel proposed on the debian-sparc mailing list without any trouble but with only one SSII (SMP is broken but I haven't seen any DMA error).

Question : does somebody use a SS20 with four ROSS ? I have seens a very strange trouble. I have a lot of RT626, SS20 and memory chips. With all configurations I have tested with more than two RT626, Solaris 9 returns "watchdog reset". All motherboards have been tested and work fine. Same observations for RT626 and memory. Thus, I don't know if the trouble I have seen with Linux 2.6 and 4*RT626 come from hardware incompatibility or software mistake. Any idea ? Currently, I retest a SS20 with Solaris 9 and 2*RT626 and I have built without any trouble gcc-4.1.0 and gcc-4.1.1.

	Regards,

	JKB
-