Re: a build system

Hello Thomas,

> first of all thank you for your effort to lift the deploment
> pipeline of the SoX distribution to a more modern level!

thank you for the encouragement.
Hopefully, this is heading out of the nineties.

> Since I am providing plugin versions of the most prominent
> SoX effects at https://github.com/prof-spock/SoX-Plugins

That begs the question: do you use libsox?  That is to say,
do you call the functions of the undoccumented libsox API?

> (reimplemented in C++, but functionally equivalent to SoX),

Eh, I'm not going there, sorry :-)

> But I have one suggestion for your repository: I would
> appreciate it when all the SoX sources are in some
> subdirectory like e.g. src.

Why?

> That directory could also
> contain the bit-rot and lpc10 directories.

I have not decided what to do with those yet.
I suspect that bit-rot/ provides noting and can be safely deleted.
lpc10/ should IMHO be made an external format, like gsm some time ago.
Then we don't have to carry that around.

Then, we will finally have everything in one dir.
Ein dir, ein code, ein Makefile.

> If you left all sources as is, this would clutter up the top
> level and obscure things like the readme or the build shell files.

Obscure in what sense?
Not standing out in a ls(1) of the directory?

That is a tiny price to pay, compared to the needless complexity
of having subdirs and havein make(1) run recursively.

	Sincerely,

		Jan