Re: normalizing clipping 32bit wav files?

A lot of trouble dealing with FP files that have values bigger than +-1.0 could be helped by hijacking the '-v' switch on input, and do the scaling before conversion from FP to integer.  This would allow working with FP files with the greater than +-1.0 values without going elsewhere to do the scaling.

It might seem like a 'hack', but would also make it easier to deal with the FP files that exist in the real world.

As it is now, I have to either fiddle around with a GUI program, or run my whole, slow decoder with all of it's complex threading to simply do the scaling from old DolbyA master tape images.  If SoX could support a simple scaling functionality ON INPUT before conversion from FP, a practical solution results.  (One can create local versions of the 'sndfile' utilities also, but using SoX is the easiest for the SoX user.)

John

On Wednesday, May 24, 2023, 03:30:19 PM EDT, Måns Rullgård <mans@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Dr. Thomas Tensi" <t.tensi@xxxxxx> writes:

> So one has to change the internal and overall sample type
> sox_sample_t from int32 to float or double and then
> recompile _the whole system_ and see what happens.  I
> haven't tried it yet, but my gut feeling is that there are a
> lot of type incompatibilities due to the initial design
> decision that samples are integers.

That's exactly it.  Simply changing sox_sample_t from int to float would
for sure break a lot of things.

--
Måns Rullgård