From: Jeremy Nicoll - ml sox users <jn.ml.sxu.88@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2020 2:25 AM
To: sox-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Search and remove audio sections

On 2020-11-17 21:40, Jeff Learman wrote:
> How many is "a bunch"?  Unless you have hundreds, or unless there's
> some real obvious audible flag to indicate the ads, it'd be easier to
> find a good simple GUI audio editor that lets you simply select and
> delete the ads.

Certainly that would make removal of the ads easier, but finding them - if the podcast files are random extracts of longer files (ie the ads may be anywhere at all in them, not eg always around the - say - 4 mins in point, is still going to be tricky.

Assuming that one can near-instantly id something as jingle or ad if one clicks play at some point on a timeline, one's still going to have to do that manually maybe 30 times (ie every 20 seconds) in a ten-minute file.

It might still be easier to use a script to generate (say) 2-second snips of each source file at 20-25 second intervals, then concatenate them and listen to a set to find out if any of them seem to contain ads/jingles.

> My guess is that this really isn't going to be easy to do, and you'll
> have to spend the time to audit the results of trials to see how many
> files they worked on, and in the end it'll take a lot of time.

I think that too.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own