Re: playing more than 2 sounds with synth option

On 8/10/20 7:36 PM, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Noah Essl <arche1@xxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I am playing 2 frequencies like this:
>>> play -qn synth $a_number_variable sine $sound_1 sine $sound_2 fade h
>> $some $random $numbers
>>
>> and I am trying to play even more sounds like:
>>> play -qn synth $a_number_variable sine $sound_1 sine $sound_2 sine
>> $sound_3 sine $sound_4
>> or like:
>>> play -qn synth $a_number_variable sine $sound_1 sine $sound_2 synth
>> sine $sound_3 sine $sound_4
>>
>> but that doesn't work. How would I do it to play 4 frequencies parallel
>> with the same command? Is there no support for that and if so, why limit
>> it to 2?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help!
> Your commands create a new channel for each tone.  If you want to mix
> them you can do that in a few ways.  One is like this:
>
> $ play -n synth 10 sine 1k synth sine mix 2k synth sine mix 3k
>
> Another way:
>
> $ play -n synth 10 sine 1k sine 2k sine 3k remix -
>
> If that's not what you're looking for, you'll have to describe in more
> detail what you're trying to achieve.

Thanks for your input!
I tried several ways and I liked the "remix -" option the most.

What am I doing: I am programming a 4-voiced random music generator (in
bash) that endlessly plays in the background bc I am fed up with
available music.
Wanna try it: https://github.com/noahsmindfuck/random_music_generator

Is there a way to make the sounds sound like a piano instead of a pure
sine? Or can i actually import/use preexisting curves of existing
instruments (e.g. the 'pluck' that plays a guitar)?