Re: Reduce distortion?

Hello Rudolfo,

you wrote:
> I regularly use Sox to mix different audio channels, and I find it a
> fantastic tool.

So do I.

> Now I did some piano home stereo live recording, and the playback
> reveals here and there some distortion, probably because the
> microphones were too close the piano strings.  Tomorrow I'll try
> to fix that error, but I like today's recordings and am sorry to
> have to throw them away.  Perhaps can Sox help in some way to
> reduce the distortion?  Or any other tool?  I suppose also a
> little could be all right...

In principle it is hard to get rid of digital distortion.  With SoX I
would use some naive mixing trickery like selective low-pass-filtering
the distorted parts or mixing the distorted signal with a
lowpass-filtered and slightly compressed version.  This could mask the
critical parts somewhat.

You could also try a research project from the Georgia Tech University
called ClipAway from 2016.  I didn't try it myself, but the approach
looks interesting.  They have a web-site available where you can upload
your file and get it "declipped".

https://cplaguna-audio.github.io/ClipAway/

Maybe you can report your success (or failure)?

	Best regards,

		Thomas