Re: concat problem

On Sep 22 16:36:39, ghe2001@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Debian Jessie, Supermicro box, SoX 14.4.1, SoX noob.

The current version is 14.4.2

> I ask SoX to concatenate AIFFs, and Mac Air stops at the end of first file.
> I've written a Python script (first use of SoX)

If you are new to SoX, learn it by running SoX,
not by writing Python scripts.

> to concat a lot of translated MP3s into a big AIFF file.
> The translation goes fine, and
> SoX creates a huge AIFF, but there seems to be an EOF in there at the
> end of the first file. Actually a little before the end of the first
> file. The Air has been playing files (VLC) for several years with no
> problems.

What happens if you play the file with SoX's own play(1)?
What does 'play --ignore-length output.aiff' do?
What does soxi(1) say about the file?

> I give SoX a long list of AIFF source files and a destination file
> name at the end.

Concatenating AIFF files as follows works as expected for me.
Exactly what problem do you experience when you run this?
(That't an hour of concatenated aiff audio.)

$ for i in 1 2 3 4 ; do sox -n file$i.aiff synth 900 sin $(($i * 200)) ; done
$ sox file*aiff out.aiff
$ play out.aiff

> The MP3s have been successfully translated to AIFFs
> earlier with a format conversion pass through SoX.

How exactly did you make the conversion?
How do you know it's successfull?

$ sox file.mp3 file.aiff
$ soxi file.mp3 file.aiff
$ play file.mp3 file.aiff

Also, you can contatenate the original mp3's just as easily,
so why are you converting them to aiff first?

> > Can you play the file back with the "play(1)" command in sox on
> > Jessie?
>
> Don't know. The 'big' computer doesn't do sound (yet), so I move the
> files around on sneaker net.

We don't know what 'big' computer is that and what a 'sneaker net' is
and how it relates to your aiff problem.

It would also be easier to do audio work
on a comupter wich has sound. Duh.

> I do know how long that first file is,
> about 7 seconds. I see what I can do to time it.

$ soxi file.aiff

> > Or try converting from AIFF back to mp3, flac, or whatever else
> > and see if the Mac can play that...
>
> I already do that (the big uncompressed file is converted to MP3 as
> the last step), and the MP3 does the same thing: stops after 7 seconds

Why are you converting the mp3s to aiff,
then concating the aiffs to aiff, and then reconvert to mp3?
Why don't you just concat the mp3 files as they are
if that's what you eventually want to have?

> > Any chance you're hitting a file size limit somewhere?  I'm not
> > familiar with AIFF, but FLAC supports large files and is lossless, too;
> > perhaps try that...
>
> Don't think so. I'm working on "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest'
> to be sure I process a lot of MP3s. Yesterday, SoX kept saying it
> couldn't create a complete AIFF header because the file was too big.

In that case, the aiff outout you are creating is probably too big.
What exactly was the command line and what exactly was the error message?
Hint: script(1).

> So I cut things down until it quit whining.
> It's still small, and SoX just printed out:
>
> -rw-r--r--  1 ghe ghe 316M Sep 22 13:03 big_file.flac

316M of flac is a lot. What exactly are you doing here and why?
Are you _concatenating_ hornet parts to create a rendition of a song?
How long is that song that it takes 316M of flac?

$ soxi big_file.flac

> > What's the exact command?
> ['sox', '--multi-threaded', '--combine', 'concatenate',
> 'flacs/1-01HornetIntro.flac', 'flacs/1-02Hornet01a.flac',
> 'flacs/1-03Hornet01b.flac', 'flacs/1-04Hornet01c.flac',
> 'flacs/1-05Hornet01d.flac', 'flacs/1-06Hornet01e.flac',
> 'flacs/1-07Hornet02a.flac', 'flacs/1-08Hornet02b.flac',
> 'flacs/1-09Hornet02c.flac', 'flacs/1-10Hornet02d.flac',
> 'flacs/1-11Hornet02e.flac', 'flacs/2-01Hornet02f.flac',
> 'flacs/2-02Hornet03a.flac', 'flacs/2-03Hornet03b.flac',
> 'flacs/2-04Hornet03c.flac', 'flacs/2-05Hornet03d.flac',
> 'flacs/2-06Hornet03e.flac', 'flacs/2-07Hornet04a.flac',
> 'flacs/2-08Hornet04b.flac', 'flacs/2-09Hornet04c.flac',
> 'flacs/2-10Hornet04d.flac', 'flacs/2-11Hornet04e.flac',
> 'flacs/2-12Hornet04f.flac', 'big_file.flac']
>
> That's a Python list printed by Python from after I changed to FLAC a
> few minutes ago

Show us the actual sox command you have a mp3/aiff problem with,
not a Python version of something else.

> -- that's what the 'subprocess' method wants to see.

What "subprocess"?

> There are no commas in the real thing. I think -- I'm a mild Python
> noob too, but nothing like I am with SoX.

Run the actual SoX command on a command line,
don't complicate matters by bringing Python into it.

> > Can you reproduce the problem with smaller initial AIFF source
> > files?
>
> Like I said, I've tried that.

And?

> > Instead of using the entire long list of AIFF source files, can
> > you try only concatenating two of them and see if that's
> > successful.  (And then move onto 3 files, and 4 files, and so
> > on...)
>
> I haven't tried that -- doing it by hand. B (file processing done)

What does "B (file processing done)" mean?

> FLAC works.

Meaning what? You can create a flac output that long,
as opposed to an aiff output that long?

If that's the case, I would suspect some length limit of the aiff format
- the more so if SoX complained about the aiff output being too long.

> On the first 2 files, anyway. Both uncompressed and as an MP3.

Meaning what? Show us the command line and the complete output,
using sox -V2

> I guess the SoX developers were just kidding
> about the program working with AIFF.

Coming to a mailing list for the first time with an elementary problem
and insulting the devs that they are "just kidding" about their software
(which keeps "whining" about length limits) - that's just plain rude.