Re: too many open files

* Erich Eckner <erich@xxxxxxxxxx> [2016-11-09 11:20]:
> Hi Peter,
>
> I would suggest to transform all files to a raw format (e.g. without
> header) - with identical sample rate, bit rate and number of channels -
> and concatenate them via bash and afterwards encode them in your desired
> format (e.g. wav). Like so:
>
> for file in inputs/*.wav
> do
>   sox $file -t raw -
> done |
>   sox -t raw - output.wav
>
> As mentioned, you might need to specify bit and sample rate and number
> of channels manually, though.

Thank you for this nice solution Erich, and thank you Eric for your
comments on ulimit.

I managed to get things to work this way. Nevertheless Eric, if you have
a moment to peek into the code and see why sox is keeping files open, it
would be fantastic and could prevent similar questions coming up again.

In order to provide sox with the information necessary to write its
output file from raw data, I query the input file for its properties
using soxi or sox --i .I discovered that sox --i -e yields
	Signed Integer PCM
while the -e flag for setting the encoding expects a different
wording (from manpage):
	signed-integer

I wonder if the encoding reported by soxi should be made identical to
the one required by sox in order to ease setting it in scripts?

Thank you both again,
best, Peter