too many open files

Dear Sox list,

I am stumbling over a (known) problem:

I am trying to concatenate many audio files with

sox "*.wav" out.wav

and after some time am getting the error message

sox FAIL formats: can’t open input file ‘whatever.wav’ : Too many open files

I have found other people's postings about the same issue, as eg
http://sox.10957.n7.nabble.com/Sox-Too-many-open-files-concatenating-from-playlists-with-a-large-number-of-entries-td5117.html

The max number of files to be concatenated this way seems to vary in
between operating systems. Or does anyone know exact numbers, or how to
determine the maximum number on a given OS?

Now I understand that sox is keeping them all opened when concatenating
them, which might be necessary in other cases, as when trying to
normalize them all to a common level. Sadly this seems to impose the
described limit. Or is there another reason why all files have to be
kept open?

I tried to work around this by recursively concatenating each input file
to a common (growing) output file using a simple bash until loop. The
performance penalty of this is enormous, as the same output file has to
be opened, read and written each time again.

I am curious what a possible workaround could be, other than dividing
above task between multiple calls of sox, each with a reduced number of
files.

Thank you for your suggestions and comments,
Peter