Re: sox vs libmagic

"Peter P." <peterparker@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> * Jan Stary <hans@xxxxxxxx> [2016-09-18 05:21]:
> [...]
>> How many audio files with missing or wrong extensions
>> have you processed in the last year?
> I am trying to understand what it does. Apparently libmagic lets you
> find out filetypes according to "magic number tests". I never used it
> but am wondering what other program (if not sox) I would throw at the
> problem of reading unknown or wrong extension audiiofiles. Is this
> libmagic functionality a unique feature only found in sox? Then it might
> be worth leaving it in.

Libmagic determines file types by matching against a list of known
header patterns.  It is used by the "file" command line utility.  Other
software varies in handling of unspecified file types.  Some programs
have their own similar functionality built in while others simply fail.
It's a useful feature at times, and I'd be reluctant to remove it
without a good reason.

> A few other posters have commented to either enable or disable at
> compilation time. I am using sox a lot, but have never compiled it
> myself and would be happy if I hadn't to in the future to either enable
> or disable libmagic, whatever my preference would be.
> In what sense does it pose a security risk?

Like anything, libmagic might have bugs, though I see no reason to fear
it more than sox itself.

--
Måns Rullgård