Re: sox vs libmagic

* Jan Stary <hans@xxxxxxxx> [2016-09-18 05:21]:
[...]
> How many audio files with missing or wrong extensions
> have you processed in the last year?
I am trying to understand what it does. Apparently libmagic lets you
find out filetypes according to "magic number tests". I never used it
but am wondering what other program (if not sox) I would throw at the
problem of reading unknown or wrong extension audiiofiles. Is this
libmagic functionality a unique feature only found in sox? Then it might
be worth leaving it in.
A few other posters have commented to either enable or disable at
compilation time. I am using sox a lot, but have never compiled it
myself and would be happy if I hadn't to in the future to either enable
or disable libmagic, whatever my preference would be.
In what sense does it pose a security risk?

thanks for asking this list,
and for maintaining this great program!
Peter