Concatenate multiple different-format mp3 to one compressed mp3 file?

Basically: up to 20 input files in one directory, some may be stereo,
some mono, some at different bitrates OR FREQUENCIES, all will be mp3.

I'd like the output file to be a mono mp4 file, optimized for speech
and size, but able to handle occasional music.

All the guides I've found don't seem to handle the case where some
files might be 44.1 and some might be 22Khz.

(Bonus - same as above but with additional mp4 (m4a) output of
possible!. Oh, and normalizing all the tracks to about the same ideal
db if possible?!?)

Thank you.

Sorry, I've looked, I really have. Maybe I'm not using the right
search term, but I've google it, I promise!