Re: Find loudest time in audio file?

On 26 March 2016 at 10:07, Eric Wong <normalperson@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stuart Bruce <stuartrbruce@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is there a way in Sox's stats functions to find the loudest part of an
> audio file, but to return the *time* of that loudest point, rather than
> just the amplitude of it?
>
> I've figured out how to identify the highest amplitude, but I'm
> specifically after information about where within the sound that amplitude
> happens.

I wrote dtas-partstats for this purpose (at least down to a 10s
interval), part of the gigantic dtas[1] which isn't really
documented, yet.  dtas-partstats divides the file into 10-second
intervals, runs the sox "stats" effect for each part, and
generates a text file output with the stats for each time
interval on each line.

Hi Eric

Thanks very much for your response.

I'm running a pre-compiled version of SOX as a tool in a Visual Studio environment on Windows so unfortunately it's probably easier for me to mould my own solution in a similar fashion to yours, rather than using DTAS.

My backup plan is to split each file in half, analyse both halves, find the half with the loudest peak, take that half and split it, analyse those two halves, and so on. The process would continue until the loudest clip of 1 second or less had been found. It's a very inelegant solution but I will be able to get what I'm after. If anyone wants to suggest an easier way I'd be very happy to hear it though!

Stuart