Powered by Linux
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: about using smatch in all debian C code — Semantic Matching Tool

On Mon, Mar 11, 2024 at 01:31:35PM +0800, 李书畅 wrote:
> Hello Dan, in the smatch.txt, you said :
> If you are building something else (which is not the Linux kernel) then use
> something like:
> make CHECK="~/progs/smatch/devel/smatch --full-path" \
> CC=~/progs/smatch/devel/smatch/cgcc | tee smatch_warns.txt,
>
> I'd like to know what file does this full-path refer to? And if it means the full path of the C project you want to check,
> what is the difference between using '-p=' and '--full-path'?

-p stands for --project.  It's for when there is project specific code.
Mostly it's the linux kernel which has tons of specific checks.

The --full-path option is for recursive Makefiles where you enter
sub-directorys and run make.  The kernel doesn't use a recursive build
system so all the warning messages have drivers/foo/bar/file.c.  Nice.
But with a recursive build system the warning messages just have file.c.
Then when you add --full-path they have
/home/whatever/kernel/drivers/foo/bar/file.c
which isn't as nice, but it's more useful than just file.c

regards,
dan carpenter