Powered by Linux
Re: Smatch for Xen — Semantic Matching Tool

Re: Smatch for Xen

On Mon, Aug 06, 2018 at 02:20:03PM +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 06, 2018 at 01:31:32PM +0300, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 02:40:08PM +0200, Norbert Manthey wrote:
> > > Dear Dan,
> > >
> > > I use my one-line-scan tool [1] to run smatch against non-kernel
> > > projects. However, for Xen I still use -p=kernel, to have all the
> > > analysis enabled. I did not write an evaluation routine to present the
> > > defects or statistics for smatch in a nice way, but smatch can be
> > > invoked. For the latest Xen, smatch (actually sparse) seems to struggle
> > > with the attribute __pointer__ token, as that's not defined.
> > >
> > > A typical invocation for smatch would look like the following:
> > >
> > > export SMATCH_EXTRA_ARG="-p=kernel --file-output"
> > > one-line-scan -o SMATCH --smatch --no-gotocc --no-analysis \
> > >   -- make xen -j $(nproc) -B
> > >
> > > I will look into using the debug info next, and see how taint
> > > information is propagated.
> > >

> > I tried use one-line-scan but I didn't want to install it in my $PATH so
> > I couldn't figure out how to make it work...
> >

> I got one-line-scan to work I think but it still only built those three
> files.  :(

I was just looking for the output in the wrong place...  one-line-scan
seems to work.  There is a problem with the directory being lost, like
you mentioned.  Also it seems to not be pulling in the header file which
defines noreturn.  I'm working on both things.

regards,
dan carpenter