Powered by Linux
Re: Questions Regarding Smatch from Nomura — Semantic Matching Tool

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 04:13:26PM -0400, Wang, Jingmei wrote:
> To whom it may concern,
> Hope this email finds you well.
> My name is Jingmei Wang, a research analyst from Nomura Research Institute. NRI is one of the leading think tanks headquartered in Tokyo (http://www.nri.co.jp/english/), and has been providing services to both public and private sectors for the past forty five years.
> By means of this letter I would like to express my interest in the static code analysis tools, and to ask some information relevant to the tools that you developed.
>
> 1.      To my knowledge, Smatch is a static analysis tool for C. What specifically does it detect? What is going on for the tools now and what is the current stage? Are there any other static code analysis tools that are being developed or your team plan to develop in the near future?

Inconsistent NULL checking.  Array overflows.  Etc.  I'm primarily a
Linux kernel developer and most of the checks are specific to to the
Linux kernel API such as certain kinds of locking bugs for example.

> 2.       Have these tools been used for safety/mission-critical system?  If so, what specific system is it used for (e.g. Avionics, Automotive, Medical, etc.)? If not, are you planning to commercialize this tool?

I'm not planning to comercialize Smatch at this point.

> 3.       What industry standards/guidelines are these tools following (e.g. MISRA, FDA)?

None.

> 4.       Following Q3, how do you collaborate, if any this kind of experience. with other organizations (e.g. Government, Standards, Industry Association, OEMs) to make those guidelines?

Doesn't apply.

regards,
dan carpenter