Re: [Sipping] I-D Action:draft-york-sipping-p-charge-info-10.txt

I guess this draft has been going on for a long time.
I took a quick look at this version.

Because it is intended to document existing practice I won't take issue with the good and the bad of the proposed form.

I do have some issue with the formal syntax and the accompanying formal semantics. There are two header parameters defined: npi and noa. I suppose those names have some mnemonic signficance, but it is nowhere described in the draft. They might as well be "foo" and "bar".

Similarly the value syntax for those is gen-value, which is more or less "anything". Appendix A lists values from ANSI T1.113 in relation to npi, but there is no normative statement that the values should/must conform to that, or what should happen if they do not. And there isn't even that kind of hint for noa.

If, as is hinted at in appendix A, the values for npi are to be 3 digit numbers (or numbers in some range), then it would be helpful to document the syntax that way.

If the intent is that these values really can be "anything", which must be agreed to out of band by the parties using the header, then that should be stated.

Similarly there really is no documented significance to the URI in this header. There should be some statement about the intended purpose of this URI.

	Thanks,
	Paul

BTW, we don't really have a sipping group any longer. I presume this is to be treated as an individual submission or AD-sponsored. I've replied to the sipping mailing list, but that won't get a lot of readers. It might be best to announce it on the dispatch list.