Re: [Sipping] Is SDP in an unreliable response "the answer" ???

On 4/20/2010 7:04 AM, Paul Kyzivat wrote:

DRAGE, Keith (Keith) wrote:
Do remember that there are certain cases where the UAC will not ignore
it. These are the cases where the message containing original answer
has not yet arrived or been lost, and the protocol has not yet
recovered from that.

Hmm. Can you say more?

Are you thinking of a case where the answer has been sent in a reliable
provisional, but the PRACK has not yet been received? And then that
*some* SDP is included in a subsequent unreliable provisional, or 2xx?

That is an interesting case. The one that would be least wierd is:

UAC UAS
| INVITE (SDP1) |
|----------------->|
| 1xx REL (SDP2) |
| X--------------|
| 2xx (no SDP) |
|<-----------------|

This is not a valid case. It's explicitly ruled out by 3262:

   If the UAS had placed a session description in any reliable
   provisional response that is unacknowledged when the INVITE is
   accepted, the UAS MUST delay sending the 2xx until the provisional
   response is acknowledged.  Otherwise, the reliability of the 1xx
   cannot be guaranteed, and reliability is needed for proper operation
   of the offer/answer exchange.

Thanks,
Anders

I think that implies a different best practice:

If the UAS has sent an answer in a reliable provisional, if it sends a
2xx before receiving a prack of the answer, it should include the answer
in the 2xx as well.

(If the UAS intends to initiate another o/a it MUST await the prack, so
if the 1xx is lost it will be retransmitted.)

Thanks,
Paul

| |
|<-----------------|