Re: I-D Action:draft-kaplan-sipping-interop-bcp-02.txt

I thought that the last category *is* what a 404 is for, while the first category is a 604. (well, I assume you don't actually mean "cannot find a route to the target" for the last category - because that is what a 480 is for :)

It just happens that in practice hardly anyone ever sends a 604, even though they maybe should.  So if devices today send 404 for both case-1 and case-3 when they already have two different response codes for the two cases, then why would they change that behavior just because a new response code is created for one of the cases?  Or am I missing the gist of the problem?

-hadriel
p.s.  My guess is that it's not because they can't generate a 604 physically, but rather that the systems can't consistently and programmatically know when it would be correct to do so.  It's kind of a bold statement to say "I know you can't reach this user by any means anywhere", when the URI is an E.164 number.  For example some products only ever issue a 604 response when the ENUM server has an explicit entry for the target number, and the entry's NAPTR is the VOID/UNUSED type.  But otherwise they're dealing with provisioned route tables and HLR's and such, which may simply not have an entry for a number that isn't active, vs. an actual entry which explicitly says "not-active".  But that's just my personal theory.