Re: Alternate CLF syntax proposal

Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 5:42 PM, Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

But anyway, attached is an example CLF file using only the currently defined fields from draft-gurbani-sipping-clf-01, I think, encoded in a different format from the draft.

The problem is this isn't really any different to the plain text
format, except it includes an initial packet length header and thus
you can skip over the whole record easily.  You still need to parse
the contents of the pacp record to match any information such as a
specific via header or to tag.

Precisely. Using PCAP captures straight up makes pretty much all of the problems that I'm trying to solve worse instead of better. You still need to dredge through long records to find the fields that you're filtering on, but now the records are entire SIP messages instead of extracted data. Instead of taking the time to find records of interest from o(m) to o(0.3m), you've INCREASED it to o(n), where n >> m.

I'll point out that my proposal incorporates the ability to include entire SIP messages, if necessary (with the decision about whether to include the message possible on a record-by-record basis), so you can retain any debugging ability you have with PCAP -- but you get fast indexing, and the ability to store meta-information that appears in neither PCAP headers nor in the SIP message itself.

/a