Re: PRACK: Does non-200 response cease re-transmissionofreliable 18x?

Christer Holmberg wrote:
Adam, I think you also had an issue regarding the proposal that a
non-200 response would not cease the re-transmission of 18x?

I agree that a UAC can't *count* on a non-200 response stopping the provisional retransmission, since the error may have come from an intermediary. Of course, if the error has an obvious recovery path (e.g. 407), then the UAC should attempt recovery (largely because it doesn't know whether the error came from the UAS or from an intermediary).

However, if the PRACK makes it all the way to the UAS, reliability has been achieved. Continued retransmission of the provisional response by the UAS at that point provides no benefit. It does, however, consume gratuitous bandwidth. (The UAS does need to deal with the possibility that the UAC will re-attempt the PRACK, however).

Otherwise, you just have the UAS yelling, "I Want My Acknowledgment!" and the UAC yelling back "You Have Your Acknowledgment!" over and over.

/a