Re: Alternate CLF syntax proposal

If the purpose of it is troubleshooting, or threat analysis type stuff, I think the following format satisfies the needs as well:
http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/LibpcapFileFormat

The advantages:
1) There's running code
2) There's open source, on all operating systems, and also for commercial use
3) It's used by many people
4) There are many tools which accept/process it
5) It's fast to write/save
6) It supports a sub-second timestamp
7) It supports length encoding of packets, so you can skip past them
8) It supports truncated saving of packets, so you don't have to save all of very big ones
9) It records the method name or response code very early in the saved log entry for each packet

Disadvantages:
1) Nothing much new to specify, except to document it?
2) It's a little tricky for SIP/TLS, where you basically have to create fake segments/packets for the low layers, and same may be true for SIP/TCP depending on when you record the log
3) It doesn't provide a way to report internal system events/actions/info (although we could fix that)
4) Afaik, there is no specific remote push/streaming mechanism for it defined (there was an attempt at it, but not final)

-hadriel