Re: Alternate CLF syntax proposal

Adam Roach wrote:
In the spirit of "send text," I've put together a straw-man proposal for an easy-to-generate and fast-to-process extensible format for saving SIP log messages:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-roach-sipping-clf-syntax-00.txt
[...]

Adam: Essentially you are advocating for a table-of-content
type of approach where you read the ToC and index straight
to where you want to go.  I have worked on SIP parsers
designed this way.

The parsing is optimized, yes, when compared to the ASCII
version -- though perl can do wonders, but not to outperform
binary parsing.  The disadvantage is that you loose readability
and would need specialized tools to, say, grep through such
a file.

It will be interesting to see what others think...

Thanks,

- vijay
--
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60566 (USA)