Re: PRACK update: other changes than allowing SDP offerinPRACK to be rejected?

Hi,

>>>Since RFC 3261 says that mid-dialog requests are processed atomic, I
>>>think UAS should not cease retransmission of the provisional response

>>>and wait for UAC to fix the error with PRACK. If it runs out of
>>>retransmissions, it should reject the Invite with 5xx response.
>>
>>So, do you agree that we in any case would need to say whether an
error
>>response also ceases retransmission of the provisional response - no
>>matter what triggers that error response?
>
>No, I am not saying that, in fact I am saying that error response to
Prack *does not* cease retransmission of provisional response.

And you think that is clear in the RFC, so no change/update is needed
for that?

>>>Having re-read RFC 3262, I think offer handling in PRACK should be
>>>treated differently than Prack failing to match the response, because

>>>it mentions that retransmissions should cease when matching Prack is
>>>received. But sdp offer is not part of matching request to ongoing
>>>transaction.
>>>So I still think that answer should be sent in 200 OK with rejection
>>>represented in the answer followed by an UPDATE to restore previous
>>>media session.
>>
>>There could also be an intermediate which rejects the PRACK offer, and

>>it may not be willing/capable of generating UPDATEs, because that
would
>>require rather heave B2BUA functionality.
>
>What are the use cases for an intermediate rejecting offer in Prack if
it is not interested in media?

The intermediate WOULD most likely be interested in media.

>BTW, what about the other issue you brought up, about first reliable
provisional response having an offer sdp for delayed media cases. IMO,
that problem is more widespread compared to Prack offer case,
>which I think it used for precondition case.

Well, so far nobody has demonstrated that the rule about the first
reliable provisional response would cause problems. If you have
scenarios where it does cause problem, please let us know.

Regards,

Christer