Folks: Some of you may remember the discussion Dale and I had
on the list last week around the SIP CLF draft.  I will like
to produce a summary of that discussion for those of you
who were following it.

First off, a great note of appreciation to Dale for taking his
time to provide in-depth comments.  The next revision will
include much of his comments.

Next, the main area of discussion in the thread was what
constitutes a message in the context of CLF logging: is
it how rfc3261 describes it?  That is, a SIP request is
one message, a response is another message, and so on?
Or does message = SIP request +
                  0 or more provisional responses +
                  1 final response

Dale was advocating uniformity in producing one line per
message (i.e., a request takes up a line, a response takes
up another line, and so on.)  I believe this is a good thing.

So, on the basic issue of what constitutes a message, we are
now in agreement (thanks, RjS!), and better yet, that
agreement sticks to the rfc3261 definition of a message.

The exact nature of logging the SIP CLF elements is complex.
It seems to me that in order to reduce the complexity, we can
say that a SIP CLF is composed of:

  sip-clf      :=  request-clf / response-clf
  request-clf  := %d %h %u %m %r %f %t %i "%c" %x %y
  response-clf := %d %x %y %s %t "%c"

Note, I have taken %s out of request-clf (i.e., we do not
put the response -- provisional or final -- in the
request-clf line.  It goes in the response-clf line.)

This way, the CLF entries are common across UAS, UAC, proxies,
B2BUAs, etc.  Each CLF entries for UAS and UAC would have exactly
one request-clf line (a message) and one or more
response-clf lines (messages).  CLF entries for proxies and
B2BUAs can have more than one request-clf lines and more than
one response-clf lines.

I will have a new revision out sometimes next week.

Thanks,

- vijay
--
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
1960 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9C-533, Naperville, Illinois 60566 (USA)