Re: Draft: Essential correction for re-INVITE rollback in RFC3261

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response.  Reply inline.

> If the question is about the rollback, or not, of
> the Contact address...

That was one of the questions.

> IMO there was never really any question of rolling
> back Contact.

Draft-holmberg-sipping-reinvite-rollback-00 section 1 indicates:

"Different solutions were discussed, and it was agreed that session parameters that have been sucessfully updated are not rolled back in the case of a re-INVITE failure.  The same applies to any other parameter, e.g. that remote target, that have been sucessfully changed."

Draft-holmberg-sipping-reinvite-rollback-00 does contain normative text associated with the last sentence of the above quote.  It also does not define "sucessfully updated" concerning session parameters and other parameters; thus I'm not sure what it means.

1) received re-INVITE, 2) sent 18x, 3) reliable 18x's PRACK successful prior to sending failure response, 4) sent INVITE 2xx 5) UPDATE transaction was successful during the re-INVITE transaction which failed and/or 6) something else.

> If the request contains a new contact,
> and if the request itself succeeds, then the Contact
> is updated, and isn't ever rolled back after that.

What is meant by "request itself succeeds": 1) received re-INVITE, 2) sent 18x, 3) reliable 18x succeeds PRACK successful prior to sending failure response, 4) sent INVITE 2xx 5) UPDATE transaction was successful during the re-INVITE transaction which failed and/or 6) something else.