Re: Initial WG review: draft-johnston-sipping-cc-uui-06

in line...
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 11:51 PM
Subject: RE: Initial WG review: draft-johnston-sipping-cc-uui-06

Alan and Joanne,

Looking at the redirection example, I could imagine a similar case but
using proxying (retargeting or rerouting) rather than redirection. In
this case the proxy would insert the UUI in the forwarded request. Is
see no requirement for this in section 3.

However, PSTN/ISDN does not support capabilities equivalent to insertion
by a proxying or redirecting entity.
[Joanne] PSTN/ISDN most certainly allows for transition of UUI with redirect - and that is
a very important point... see more information below...

Yet in section 1 it states:
"This document looks only at the
   requirements and mechanisms for replicating the existing, widely used
   and deployed ISDN UUI service."

Therefore we should either:
- remove the redirection case, on the grounds that it doesn't replicate
existing ISDN UUI operation; or
[Joanne] Redirection most certainly does replicate current ISDN behavior - there are
ISDN standards supported by PSTNs where they actually do a redirect as requested
by a PBX - ANSI Explicit Network Call Transer and ETSI Network Call Deflection
are  two popular specs supported and used with PSTNs - both of them allow for
transmitting the UU IE as part of that PSTN redirect service for private networks. Hence, the SP redirect case
here is certainly 100% valid in SIP. If we do something to disallow it in SIP (or just ignore it) then we are going
to cause interop problems and certainly not have parity with ISDN for full UUI transmission support
for redirects... and the industry needs that...
- clarify the statement in section 1 so as not to preclude the
redirection case.

Furthermore, if we adopt the second of these approaches we might wish to
consider adding a requirement for insertion by a proxy. Fortunately the
chosen mechanism would seem to permit this.

I have no strong feelings which approach we should take. I just wish to
see consistency.

John