Re: I-D Action:draft-kaplan-sipping-pai-responses-00.txt

That's only one of several scenarios.  The pai-responses draft covers the scenarios where the UA is *within* the Trust Domain, for example, and I don't think those are currently covered by your update-pai draft.

And my draft said if the UA is outside the Trust Domain, then the Proxy MUST remove any received PAI.

I assume the main concern would be the following paragraph:
  "If a Proxy receives an ACK or CANCEL request from a UAC, or any
   response for any method from a UAS, and the message does not contain
   a P-Asserted-Identity header field, the Proxy MAY insert the header
   field, if it has knowledge of the UA's identity per [RFC 3325].
   This would require the Proxy to have previously authenticated the
   UA's identity over the same secure transport as the response was
   received from.  If the message has a P-Preferred-Identity header
   value, the Proxy MAY use this information as a hint for P-Asserted-
   Identity generation, per the rules in [RFC 3325].  The Proxy MUST
   remove any P-Preferred-Identity from any message it forwards, per
   [RFC 3325]."

I admit that concept bothers me too.  Clearly without either a client-side certificate matching the identity, or some shared key model tied to a secure transport's authentication mechanism (like 3gpp), it can't really be done for responses/ACK/CANCEL.  That doesn't mean it can't be done.  It just means only some can do it.

-hadriel