Re: I-D Action:draft-kaplan-sipping-pai-responses-00.txt

Hadriel,

[JRE] You surprise me.

> My belief is that your draft is trying to clarify that PAI
> can be used in other methods than INVITE, that a trusted UAC
> can insert it, and that it can be more and different URI
> schemes.  It's not actually changing the fundamental
> definitions/scope of RFC 3325, right?
[JRE] Yes

> So let's start with what RFC 3325 is about.  For one, it's an
> Informational RFC for private use.  For another, it actually
> does not say what methods a PAI can be inserted in or not -
> it only uses the word "message", and in fact says both
> requests and responses.  It very clearly says that if a Proxy
> trusts a node, then it can believe the information as if it
> had authenticated the user itself.  Are you suggesting your
> draft is going to remove that, or re-define that?  For what
> purpose?  This whole thing is about a private network
> deciding what "Trust" means to itself!
>
> But more importantly, RFC 3325 does not define a particular
> *instantiation* of a Spec(T).  It gives an *example* of one,
> but that's it.  If I decide for my network that all my PSTN
> Gateways and proxies trust each other, then that is my
> specific Spec(T).  If you decide for your network that only
> proxies have a trust relationship, then that's your Spec(T).
> In my network, the PSTN gateways can certainly send back PAI
> in responses, because they're implicitly authenticated.  In
> your network they can't, because they're outside of the trust
> domain.  And the problem is...?
[JRE] Spec(T) applies between trusted nodes. This is not the issue. The
issue is when a proxy receives a response from an untrusted node, on
what basis can it assert an identity for the UAS. Or how can it
authenticate the UAS?

> That's why Keith doesn't need to give you any 3GPP use-case.
> It's not germane to the draft.  3GPP is simply one particular
> Spec(T).  It very well could be a bad one (and I think it has
> some holes), but that's the nature of a private-use,
> privately-defined Spec(T) model to begin with, which is all
> RFC 3325 covers!
[JRE] I am just the editor. It is Cullen you have to convince.

John