From: sipping-bounces@xxxxxxxx [mailto:sipping-bounces@xxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Paul Kyzivat
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2008 7:57 PM
To: Cullen Jennings
Cc: DRAGE, Keith (Keith); Joanne McMillen; sipping
Subject: Re:  draft-johnston-sipping-cc-uui-05

Cullen Jennings wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2008, at 10:22 , Alan Johnston wrote:
>
>> Cullen,
>>
>> Keith is correct - this is not about mapping ISDN parameters into SIP,
>> it is about mapping a very successful and popular ISDN *service* into
>> SIP.
>>
> Fair enough - I agree with you and Keith on this.

This is precisely my concern. By doing this we are adopting this syntax
for carrying data for what will eventually be *SIP* services. Is this
*really* the way we want to support those services in a native sip
environment?

JR - This draft is not about creating a new SIP service, but rather interoperating with the existing UUE service in ISDN.

Once its done it will not make sense to develop a different syntax for
native sip use.

JR - Why not?  If the service is valuable in gateways, it may also be valuable in the pure SIP environment, but a new service would not need to be backward compatible with ISDN syntax.

If we go this way, every sip entity that needs to deal with these will
need to have the needed ASN.1 encoding/decoding logic. I don't know if
that is trivial to special case because I don't know what all the
various formats are. But it would at least be annoying.

JR - Since the draft's focus is on interoperating with ISDN, the binary format is defined in Q.931 and an implementer that wants to decode it will have such a facility. The actual semantics of the data depend upon the use case.

        Thanks,
        Paul