Re: draft-ietf-sipping-update-pai-07: allow use of service URNs per RFC 5031

John,

I checked and RFC 3325 does permit "absoluteURI" with "opaque-part".
The rules following "absoluteURI" would seem to allow service URNs.

A question to resolve would be answering how many URIs can be
contained in parallel. In text below I propose not to change the limit
of 2. The motivation for not allowing SIP, SIPS and URN with service
URN label in parallel: since a service URN was designed to be
univerally resolveable, advertising a SIP/S URI along with a service
URN seems to defeat the purpose of being assigned a service URN.

Perhaps text permitting use of service URNs, as registered in the IANA
registry for service URN labels, could read as follows:

[start old text]
   This document does not change the RFC 3325 requirement that allows
[..]
   o  ignore a SIP URI if a SIPS URI occurred earlier in the header
      field and vice versa.
[end old text]

[start new text]
   This document does not change the RFC 3325 requirement that allows
   each of these header fields to contain at most two URIs. This
document does allow one URI to be either
   a SIP, a SIPS URI or a URN with Service URN Label, as registered in
the IANA registry for service URN labels,
   and the other is a tel URI. Future updates to this document may
relax these requirements further.  The
   requirement above means that an entity receiving a request
containing a P-Asserted-Identity or P-Preferred-Identity
   header field must act as follows:

   o  ignore any URI with a scheme other than SIP, SIPS, URN Service
Labels or tel;

   o  ignore a second or subsequent URN with Service URN Label, a
second or subsequent SIP URI, a second or subsequent SIPS
      URI or a second or subsequent tel URI; and

   o  ignore a URN with Service URN Label if a SIP URI or a SIPS URI
occurred earlier in the header field, ignore a SIP URI if a SIPS URI
or a URN with Service URN Label occurred earlier in the header field,
ignore a SIPS URI if a SIP URI or a URN with Service URN Label
occurred earlier in the header field.
[end new text]

Comments?

John-Luc