Re: SELinux userspace 3.6 release - the current status and plan

On 11/1/2023 8:38 AM, Petr Lautrbach wrote:
Hello,

it's been some time [1] since we released 3.5 so it's time to start with
3.6

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/selinux/87v8auhbr6.fsf@xxxxxxxxxx/T/#t

Currently we have about 153 merged changes and about 39 changes waiting
for review or to be merged.

You can see waiting queue at

https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/selinux/list/?series=&submitter=&state=&q=&archive=&delegate=82149

# Series:

## [RFC,1/9] libselinux: annotate interfaces with compiler attributes

https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/selinux/list/?series=747047&submitter=&state=*&q=&archive=&delegate=

Given that some patches were already rejected, I guess that the whole set could be considered as rejected as well.

## [1/5] libsepol: free memory on str_read() failures

https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/selinux/list/?series=765423&submitter=&state=*&q=&archive=&delegate=

Based on https://lore.kernel.org/all/CAP+JOzQ-AuM9M3c4ehKYca-eUAOy0wbVGkygkpPkhhSTNaVC-Q@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/ I've marked them as "not applicable"

## libselinux: rework selabel_file(5) database

https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/selinux/list/?series=775966&submitter=&state=*&q=&archive=&delegate=

Given that the majority was already accepted/merged, the rest could be considered as rejected.
If there's no objection I'll mark them before the release.

## [1/5] libsepol: include length squared in hashtab_hash_eval()

https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/selinux/list/?series=776635

no response yet

## CIL Cleanups and Improved Argument handling

https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/selinux/list/?series=788225

There's Reviewed-by and Acked-by attached to the first patch but I guess that it applies to the whole serie.
If it's not merged before the release and there's no other objection, I'll merge it.

I only managed to make it through the first patch in that series before getting pulled elsewhere unfortunately. My Reviewed-By was intended for that patch only. I can try to find time to review the rest of the series next week if that would be helpful.

-Daniel

The rest are individual patches which are already acked or waiting for review.

# Plan

During this week, I'll prepare update of translations from fedora weblate and I'll prepare pre-release list of highlights for this release.

I'd like to start with rc1 during next week and then do rc releases every other week (14 days)

Please let me know if there's any objection or if you think that we should wait for somethig or if you want to have seomthing in release notes.

Thanks,

Petr