Re: /dev/random MLS policy

Your plan would get things working but will be the equivalent of just making random_device_t an mls trusted object, since everything will always dominate system low and everything will always be dominated by system high.

This would make (( t2 == mlsfilewriteinrange ) and ( l1 dom l2 ) and ( h1 domby h2 )) always true. And for read options ( l1 dom l2 ) will be true for the same reasons. So path of least resistance you can just make random_device_t mlstrustedobject.

But you may just be able to deny and dontaudit that access. Things only write to /dev/random to add more entropy, and you may be able to live without that. Also since it seems to be happening on exit it's likely not to have impact on the actual functionality of the system.

From a more philosophical sense if you allow access like this, it will appear like a transitive data flow for a static policy analysis. But realize that the kernel is handling data written to /dev/random differently to that of a flat file. I cannot write some bytes into /dev/random and get those bytes out as is. Now with a very complicated attack you can effect the entropy of /dev/random and cause other software to behave less random, which is generally bad.