Re: context of socket passed between processes

On Thu, Sep 8, 2022 at 9:41 AM Ted Toth <txtoth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 5:46 PM Paul Moore <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 4:19 PM Ted Toth <txtoth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > systemd uses a helper process (sd-listen) to create sockets and pass
> > > their fds back to its parent. I've patched systemd to call semanage to
> > > get the context for the port if it exists and create a context using
> > > the returned type when calling setsockcreatecon.
> >
> > This obviously depends on how you structure and write your policy, but
> > I don't think you want to use a port type directly as a socket type.
> > I think we talked about this a little in the other thread, but for
> > bound/listening sockets maybe you could do a transition for new child
> > sockets based on the listening socket and port types.
>
> To be clear you are suggesting to call setsockcreatecon with the port
> type but also have a transition rule to transition the port type to a
> socket type?

Two things:

* I'm not sure you want to reuse a port type as a socket type, that
seems wrong to me.

* The socket type transition I was talking about would be new as there
is not currently a type transition when the kernel creates a new
socket for incoming connections.

> > > Everything looks
> > > right i.e. the port type is retrieved, the context is created and
> > > setsockcreatecon is called without errors. However 'netstat -Z' shows
> > > the listening sockets type as init_t and not the type in the
> > > setsockcreatecon call, is this the expected behavior? Can anyone help
> > > me understand why this is happening?
> >
> > You're calling setsockcreatecon() before you create the listening
> > socket, right?  I wouldn't expect this to work properly if you create
> > the listening socket and then call setsockcreatecon() hoping to have
> > the new label applied to the new child sockets.
>
> It's not my code  ;) the systemd sd-listen process code does the
> setsockccreatecon, bind and then listen.

Well, regardless of who wrote the code, setsockcreatecon() is not
going to have any effect on a socket's label if it is called *after*
the socket is created.  Additionally, setsockcreatecon() has no effect
on child sockets created by incoming connections on a listening
socket; if you want to affect the label of those child sockets today
you would need to change the label of the listening parent socket.

> Regarding how to get the port context, what would you suggest?
> Currently I'm calling semanage functions but have considered using the
> sepol instead.

I'll leave that to the folks who better understand the SELinux
libraries, my only comment would be that I'm not sure reusing the port
label is a good idea here.

--
paul-moore.com