Re: context of socket passed between processes

On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 4:19 PM Ted Toth <txtoth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> systemd uses a helper process (sd-listen) to create sockets and pass
> their fds back to its parent. I've patched systemd to call semanage to
> get the context for the port if it exists and create a context using
> the returned type when calling setsockcreatecon.

This obviously depends on how you structure and write your policy, but
I don't think you want to use a port type directly as a socket type.
I think we talked about this a little in the other thread, but for
bound/listening sockets maybe you could do a transition for new child
sockets based on the listening socket and port types.

> Everything looks
> right i.e. the port type is retrieved, the context is created and
> setsockcreatecon is called without errors. However 'netstat -Z' shows
> the listening sockets type as init_t and not the type in the
> setsockcreatecon call, is this the expected behavior? Can anyone help
> me understand why this is happening?

You're calling setsockcreatecon() before you create the listening
socket, right?  I wouldn't expect this to work properly if you create
the listening socket and then call setsockcreatecon() hoping to have
the new label applied to the new child sockets.

--
paul-moore.com