Re: Changes to Travis Usage

On 11/4/20 10:35 AM, William Roberts wrote:
TL;DR
Travis is limiting us to 1000mins of build and we should file for an
opensource exception so we don't have to pay/throttled. We may want to
consider migrating to Github Actions.

Looks like our build times average:

 * userspace: 70 build minutes
 * testsuite: 25 build minutes
 * refpolicy: 55 build minutes
 * setools: 18 build minutes

Lately the build times have increased, but I don't know how much of that is due overall slowdowns due to the abuse they're having.

The initial 1000 minutes of credit they're talking about won't take long to deplete, especially with PRs triggering builds possibly multiple times. We could request a renewable amount according to that blog article. If we can't get that, then it seems tedious to manually request credit allotments and we should evaluate new options.

Travis is changing, as pointed out before:
   - https://lore.kernel.org/selinux/CAFqZXNspH6MmB-o0wtJJwj-p0DKKrH-ZjfW2YkF_yQS_gCBwqQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/T/#t

We had to migrate from .org to .com. Apparently, their usage and
billing changes are about to occur, see:
https://blog.travis-ci.com/2020-11-02-travis-ci-new-billing

Dockerhub[1] *was* doing the same thing with pulls, but just switched
their stance back. I recently changed some of my projects from
dockerhub to Github Container Registry and used Github Actions to
build the containers. Github Actions should be a replacement to
Travis, and includes Ubuntu 16-04, 18-04, 20-04, Windows and Mac[2]. I
am not sure if it has KVM enabled.

1. https://www.docker.com/blog/what-you-need-to-know-about-upcoming-docker-hub-rate-limiting/
2. https://docs.github.com/en/free-pro-team@latest/actions/reference/workflow-syntax-for-github-actions#jobsjob_idruns-on

--