Re: [RFC] Finding the right target branch for patches that span IMA and SeLinux

On 2020-11-02 8:35 a.m., Mimi Zohar wrote:
Hi Paul,

On 2020-10-30 1:37 p.m., Paul Moore wrote:
On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 12:43 PM Tushar Sugandhi
<tusharsu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Unless this patch set is specifically dependent on the two patches in
the SELinux tree beyond v5.10.0-rc1, please base it on v5.10.0-rc1.

Thanks Mimi. We don't have dependencies on those two patches in SELinux
tree.

We'll base our changes on v5.10.0-rc1 in SELinux tree.

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm not as fast as Mimi, but I thought it might be worthwhile to
provide a bit more detail as to what I expect from SELinux kernel
submissions.  I believe most other maintainers operate in a similar
manner, but I obviously can't speak for them.
Thanks a lot for the detailed information Paul.
Its very helpful, and we appreciate it.

Unless there is an exception due to a previous discussion, I ask that
all SELinux kernel patches be based on either the selinux/next branch
or Linus' current tree.  If your patch(set) applies cleanly to either
of those branches, and passes review, I'll merge it into the
selinux/next branch taking care of any merge conflicts that may arise.
We will base on SeLinux -> next branch, as you/Mimi suggested.

Unless there was a compelling reason for basing it on the SELinux
branch, I asked that you base the changes on v5.10.0-rc1 (or later),
which has nothing to do with the SELinux branch.  Once this patch set
is reviewed and ready to be upstreamed, a topic branch will be created
containing at least the IMA patches.   The decision as to how the the
SELinux patch will be upstreamed will be made at that point.  That
discussion will be between Paul and me.

Sincere apologies Mimi.
We misunderstood your feedback when you mentioned -
"Unless this patch set is specifically dependent on the two patches in
the SELinux tree beyond v5.10.0-rc1, please base it on v5.10.0-rc1."

We believed you were recommending selinux repo as there were exactly
two patches present in the selinux/next branch after the tag v5.10-rc1.

Anyways - we tried applying the patches to -
repo: https://github.com/torvalds/linux
branch: master
tag: v5.10-rc1

and they get applied cleanly and are working fine.

We will wait for feedback on the v5 patch from you/Paul/Stephen, address
those, and then base v6 of the series to tarvolds/master branch on
v5.10-rc1 (or later).

Does it sound ok?

Here is the v5 of the series we published yesterday.
https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/linux-integrity/list/?series=375103

Thanks,
Tushar

thanks,