Re: [RFC] Finding the right target branch for patches that span IMA and SeLinux

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 12:43 PM Tushar Sugandhi
<tusharsu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Unless this patch set is specifically dependent on the two patches in
> > the SELinux tree beyond v5.10.0-rc1, please base it on v5.10.0-rc1.
>
> Thanks Mimi. We don't have dependencies on those two patches in SELinux
> tree.
>
> We'll base our changes on v5.10.0-rc1 in SELinux tree.
>
> Thanks for the quick response.

I'm not as fast as Mimi, but I thought it might be worthwhile to
provide a bit more detail as to what I expect from SELinux kernel
submissions.  I believe most other maintainers operate in a similar
manner, but I obviously can't speak for them.

Unless there is an exception due to a previous discussion, I ask that
all SELinux kernel patches be based on either the selinux/next branch
or Linus' current tree.  If your patch(set) applies cleanly to either
of those branches, and passes review, I'll merge it into the
selinux/next branch taking care of any merge conflicts that may arise.
If the merge is particularly tricky I may ask you to double check the
merge afterwards, but in my experience that is rare, most merge
conflicts are trivially resolved.

In the case where a patch(set) being proposed for inclusion in the
SELinux tree has significant changes to another subsystem, I will ask
the affected subsystem's maintainer to review the patch(set).  If the
other maintainers do not provide an ACK for the patch(set) I will not
merge the patches.  If the other maintainers do not respond at all for
a few weeks, I may go ahead and merge the patch(set) anyway; that is a
decision made on a case-by-base basis.

If the patch(set) introduces new functionality I will ask you to add
or update an existing test in the selinux-testsuite.
* https://github.com/SELinuxProject/selinux-testsuite

If the patch(set) introduces new, or changed, functionality I may ask
you to update The SELinux Notebook.
* https://github.com/SELinuxProject/selinux-notebook

Beyond the above, the general SELinux kernel tree process is
documented in the README.md found in selinux/main:
* https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/pcmoore/selinux.git/tree/README.md

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com