Re: How to avoid relabeling rootfs at every boot

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 7:13 AM Ashish Mishra <ashishm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All ,
>
> I am evaluating a use case of  SELINUX + RAMFS scenario & came across
> this thread.
>
> Can team please provide pointer on :
> a) Use of TMPFS over RAMFS for initramfs
>     As that would allow use of "fs_use_xattr"  and hence restorecon
> would not be required with "REFPOLICY"
>     Am I correct in my understanding here or am I missing any aspect ?

I'm not sure how you would use tpmfs as an initramfs as it is not a
persistent filesystem.  Perhaps there is a way to use a tmpfs as an
initramfs but I don't know how that would would work.

> b) Team input / comment on https://lwn.net/Articles/745260/
>      patch to extend initramfs archive format to support xattrs

I'm not sure how useful that would be in practice as you would still
need to load a SELinux policy before you could actually enforce any
security policy with those labels/xattrs.  We have recently added
support to manage filesystem labels when a policy isn't loaded; the
main motivation was to allow different use cases where the root
filesystem was created and labeled dynamically by the initramfs.

* https://www.paul-moore.com/blog/d/2020/01/linux_v55.html
* https://www.paul-moore.com/blog/d/2020/10/linux_v59.html

> c) Any standard way / location to derive "dependent packages " that
> should be present
>     on ROOTFS before trying to build ref-policy from
> "https://github.com/TresysTechnology/refpolicy";

Reference policy is now located at the repo below.  Generally the
SELinux policy is built offline on a build system and the resulting
SELinux policy binary artifact is loaded at runtime; building the
reference policy from source during boot would likely slow the boot
process dramatically.

* https://github.com/SELinuxProject/refpolicy

--
paul moore