Re: CFLAGS overridden by distribution build system

On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 11:59 AM William Roberts
<bill.c.roberts@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, May 23, 2020 at 5:57 AM Laurent Bigonville <bigon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > The current build system of the userspace is setting a lot of CFLAGS,
> > but most of these are overridden by the distributions when building.
> >
> > Today I received a bug report[0] from Christian Göttsche asking me to
> > set -fno-semantic-interposition again in libsepol. I see also the same
> > flag and also a lot of others set in libselinux and libsemanage build
> > system.
>
> Why would it be again? The old DSO design made that option impotent.
> Clang does it by default.
>

> > For what I understand some of these are just needed for code quality
> > (-W) and could be controlled by distributions but others might actually
> > need to be always set (-f?).
>
> If you look at the Makefiles overall in all the projects, you'll see hardening
> flags, etc. Libsepol has a pretty minimal set compared to say libselinux, but
> they all get overridden by build time CFLAGS if you want.
>

> > Shouldn't the flags that always need to be set (which ones?) be moved to
> > a "override CFLAGS" directive to avoid these to be unset by distributions?
>
> If you we're cleaver with CFLAGS before, you could acually circumvent
> the buildtime
> DSO stuff. While i'm not opposed to adding it to immutable flag, if
> you're setting
> CFLAGS, you're on your own. At least with the current design.
>
> I have no issues with adding it to override, but we would have to
> overhaul a bunch
> of them and make them consistent.

I'm inclined to agree with Laurent here - we should always set this
flag in order to preserve the same behavior prior to the patches that
removed hidden_def/hidden_proto and switched to relying on this
instead.