Re: libsepol: drop dso question on CFLAGS (package maintainers weigh in please)

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 10:24 AM Stephen Smalley
<stephen.smalley.work@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 9:52 AM William Roberts <bill.c.roberts@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > The libsepol/src/Makefile has the below lines for CFLAGS:
> >
> > CFLAGS ?= -Werror -Wall -W -Wundef -Wshadow -Wmissing-format-attribute -O2
> >
> > override CFLAGS += -I. -I../include -D_GNU_SOURCE
> >
> > Does anyone have a preference where I add the -fno-semantic-interposition?
> >
> > I was thinking the conditional assignment because of the comment made
> > about packagers overriding things on the selinux drop dso patch
> > series.
>
> I am not a package maintainer but regardless of how this gets added
> (and I think in the libselinux case
> it ends up being part of the conditional assignment), we need to make
> sure that maintainers are strongly
> encouraged to add it to their builds to preserve existing behavior.

Definitely.

The same would go for libselinux, its on EXTRA_CFLAGS which eventually
gets conditionally assigned to CFLAGS.

I would imagine if you set custom CFLAGS when building a package, you better
make sure it's perfect. You won't necessarily get a wrong lib, but you could get
something undesirable for a host of reasons (hardening flags omitted, etc).

I could definitely see an argument to add this no matter what for gcc builds
(omit for clang) and make it non-override-able. But the package folks seemed
to frown on that.