Re: Selinux load_policy command on chrooted partition is loading policy on active partition

On 05/25/2018 04:08 AM, bhawna goel wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> We are facing an issue with load_policy command on Centos 7.4.. Need to understand what it exactly does.
>
> We have Centos 7.4 machine which have two partitions .
> Ist partition (partA) have all the policies with unconfined and when we are installing second partition (partB) we are adding all the policies for sysadm.
> During installation of partB below command is getting executed from partA
> chroot partB load_policy -qi.
>
> Just after executing this command partA stops working with unconfined policies . partA giving denials which was working before executing this command.
>
> Just to recover my system i executed load_policy -q in partA and it gets back to normal.
>
> I wanted to understand what exactly load_policy do . Why my partA stopped working when load_policy is executed in partB .Is this expected behavior or there is some issue.
>
> Thanks in advance.

I thought I answered this yesterday, but let's try again: load_policy always loads the active policy as defined by /etc/selinux/config relative to its root. So if you perform a chroot /path/to/partB load_policy it will load the policy from /path/to/partB/etc/selinux into the kernel.  And then your partA will stop working.  There is only one kernel policy; it isn't relative to any particular root.  Don't load policy from partB unless you are actually booting from partB.