Re: Discussion on setting the /proc/self/oom_score_adj file label.

On 11/01/2016 09:11 AM, Jason Zaman wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 01, 2016 at 08:33:09AM -0400, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

>>> Technically feasible, already on the kernel todo list,
>>> https://github.com/SELinuxProject/selinux/wiki/Kernel-Todo
>>>
>>> However, I agree with Dominick here - the parent shouldn't run in
>>> unconfined_t in the first place.

>> Sure, We could label chrome to run as some other label,but then you end
>> up in multiple unconfined domains
>> running, or end up attempting to confine chrome, which is a loosing
>> battle, in the general use case.
> We have chrome and firefox confined in gentoo and have no problems. There are a
> set of booleans to allow it to read/write the entire homedir vs just
> ~/Downloads/ if you want that on. if you skipped the booleans and just give
> chromium_t userdom_manage_* then its pretty unconfined and would work out of
> the box.
>
> Even if we had a way to set the label on just that one file, it'd still
> be unconfined_oom_score_t and then the sandbox would still be able to
> set it on every single process running in unconfined so theres no
> benefit anyway.
I don't agree, while yes it would be able to set it on all processes in
the users domain, it would bot be able to write
to the rest of /proc for all processes in the user space.  Yes it could
still cause the kernel to pick any user process
to be killed when under memory pressure.

I want people to OPT out of security not OPT In.  While confining web
browsers seems like a nice solution, I still believe
it breaks too many things which will cause more bugs. If I can
incrementally increase the security of the desktop, without
causing most of the users to turn off the security, I think this is better.