Re: Fwd: SElinux user tools 2.5 change

On 06/30/2016 07:19 PM, Steve Lawrence wrote:
On 06/30/2016 05:47 PM, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
   A customer is asking:

The SELinux userspace tools version 2.5 introduced a change to remove the
semodule version from the semodule –l output.  This poses problems for people
(like us) who are using configuration management tools like Puppet to manage
SELinux modules – how is Puppet supposed to know which version of the module is
installed?  Should it try to load the module every time?

I have raised the issue with Puppet as
https://tickets.puppetlabs.com/browse/PUP-5649 but I believe the real question
should be, how is a config management system supposed to know which version of a
module to try to install?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide with this, and we will continue to run
in enforcing mode by default for RHEL 7+.
I would argue version numbers have never really meant anything. Nothing
forced you to update the module version when you made changes aside from
convention. So you could easily have two version 1.0's that are
completely different.

I imagine puppet and other configuration managers have some concept of
hash verification to determine what files are installed on the target
machine, and if they need to be updated to something else (similar to
git). That, to me, seems the better and more conclusive way to ensure
that the right modules are installed.

There is currently no API to get the hash of a module, but one could
manually hash the files that are in the policy store. If we need a more
user friendly method, I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to add some
kind of hash to semodule -l output. Do either of those options seem
reasonable?

- Steve
I can suggest that to the customer and get a change into semanage/semodule.