Re: should setfscreatecon be able to override auto type transition rules?

On 02/29/2016 09:31 PM, Dominick Grift wrote:
> On 02/29/2016 09:23 PM, Stephen Smalley wrote:
>> On 02/29/2016 02:14 PM, Dominick Grift wrote:
>>> I encountered this today and it got me thinking. Should this
>>> be happenin g?
>
>> Yes.
>
>>> I would think that a auto type transition rule should always
>>> take precedence, and that setfscreatecon should only be
>>> honored if there is nothing in policy overriding it.
>
>> No.  The type_transition rules are merely defaults to provide
>> compatibility with a non-security-aware userspace.
>> setfscreatecon() intentionally permits overriding type
>> transition or default inheritance rules.  Of course, one can only
>> use setfscreatecon() if one has the requisite permissions,
>> including setfscreate to even use it at all, plus create to the
>> specified type.  However, in Android, the usage permissions like
>> setfscreate are tightly locked down; only a few domains are
>> allowed them.
>

> So if one does not allow the requisite permissions for the
> setfscreatecon, should it then "fall" back to the auto type
> transition?
>
> this is one of the instances:
>
> AVC avc:  denied  { create } for  pid=31307 comm="useradd"
> name="subuid-"
> scontext=wheel.id:sysadm.role:useradd.subj:s0-s0:c0.c1023
> tcontext=sys.id:sys.role:config.config_file:s0 tclass=file
> permissive=1
>
> There was a rule:
>
> type_transition useradd.subj config.config_file:file
> passwords.file;
>
> But there was no file context specified for it.
>
> Thus useradd wanted to create /etc/subuid- with type
> config.config_file even though there was a type transition.
>
> In enforcing mode, would it have created /etc/subuid- with type
> passwords.file? Since it was not allowed to create /etc/suduid-
> with type config.config_file?

I think I know the answer. No it would not fall back.

I can understand that setfscreate overrides default inheritance, but I
personally think that auto type transition should take precedence.

In gnu/linux even coreutils request setfscreatecon. Sometimes that
makes perfect sense but sometimes you want to be able to override that.

- --
Key fingerprint = 5F4D 3CDB D3F8 3652 FBD8  02D5 3B6C 5F1D 2C7B 6B02
https://sks-keyservers.net/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x3B6C5F1D2C7B6B02
Dominick Grift