Re: genhomedircon uid template

On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 02:30:37PM -0500, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On 02/01/2016 04:36 AM, Jason Zaman wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is usually /run/user/$UID but there is no way to label
> > that in an fcontext file. It used to be /run/user/USER which is easy but
> > not UID.
> >
> > What template keyword should be used for such an entry? UID? USERID?
> >
> > USERID is perhaps more obvious but has to be replaced before USER but
> > that should be doable.
> > https://github.com/SELinuxProject/selinux/blob/master/libsemanage/src/genhomedircon.c#L76
> >
> > UID does not conflict with USER but this line exists in refpol which
> > is problematic:
> > contrib/fetchmail.fc:13:/var/mail/\.fetchmail-UIDL-cache -- gen_context(system_u:object_r:fetchmail_uidl_cache_t,s0)
> >
> > This could also be used for several fcontexts in kerberos. It stores the
> > tickets in /tmp/krbcc_UID for example.
> >
> > If we choose a template name I can put together a patch to add it.
>
> No strong preferences from me on the particular name, e.g. USERID is
> fine.  I think it highlights however the problems with the current
> approach; maybe we ought to be using ${USER} and ${UID} in .fc files
> instead?

Yes there are definitely problems but fixing would mean refpol and
probably a lot of other things would need to be updated at the same
time.

HOME_DIR and HOME_ROOT are not really problems since they are only
allowed in the beginning of an fcontext line and other lines start with
a /.

USER, USERID, and possibly other things in future (GROUP, GROUPID?) can
appear at any point in the the line so a more unique token might be
better. %USERID might be better than $USERID since thats a thing in
shells.

If we do go down this path, what are the steps? and what tokens do we
want?

-- Jason