Re: New SELinux userspace release supporting extended ioctl permissions?

> Applying ioctl whitelisting on GNU/Linux systems looks to me pretty hard
> to do though. Many drivers, and their ioctls to support.

Agreed.

On Android we use ioctl whitelisting only in a targeted manner. I
think the same approach could (should) be applied to GNU/Linux.

The example that went out in the M release focused on restricting the
leakage of privacy sensitive information from socket ioctls. Apps are
blocked from using socket ioctls to access the wifi MAC address, wifi
SSID and layer 2 encryption protocol. I could see a similar policy
applied to the GNU/Linux browser. Ioctl policies on GPU access also
seem practical albeit device specific.

Constructing a comprehensive list of ioctls and the
source/target/class sets that require access does not strike me as
practical. In many cases these ioctls are already properly restricted
via the ioctl permission.