Re: SELinux with overlayfs between squashfs and jffs2

On 7/9/2014 4:01 AM, Antoine MOISE wrote:
Hi,
I try to use SELinux on embedded system, which contains an overlay used for saving changes of the rootfs.
The rootfs is stored on a squashfs read-only, and the rootfs' changes are stored in a jffs2 partition.
In this situation changing file's context is impossible because SELinux tried to modify the squashfs inode, not creating or modifying inode in the overlay to store the new SELinux context.
Is it a security purpose of not supporting such mecanism?

Best Regards
Antoine MOÏSE

Aix-Marseille University

I don't think this is an SELinux issue but rather an issue with what overlayfs is doing with the permission denial. The setting of the security label should be done with an xattr handler. If it fails on the root you'd think that it would copyup the file and then store the changes on the jffs2 like it would any other write failure. However it seems like its just taking the failure to set the xattr as a fatal failure and giving up. I can try to take a look at it more later but I don't think this is really an SELinux permission problem and more overlayfs not knowing how to handle SELinux properly.

Dave