Re: cross-labeling vs precompiled PCRE

On 02/18/2014 07:28 PM, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 4:45 PM, Eric Paris <eparis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> agreed completely that a version check makes sense, but i'm pretty
>> sure I'll forget about it before I have time to look at it   :-(
>>
> I'm happy to do some implementation work here myself as well.  The
> obvious thing to do is just to stick the output of pcre_version() into
> the file - except there's no space.  So we'd need to bump the format
> version.
>
> Now I can do that, but I think it's the kind of thing that needs a bit
> of discussion beforehand.  Any objections or further thoughts?

That's just the library version, right?  Not an indication of a format
change in the pcre regex necessarily?  Any way to get an actual version
corresponding to that format?

On the last such format change, I believe Dan et al added a trigger to
selinux-policy so that it will regenerate the .bin file on any pcre
upgrade automatically, so I guess what you describe should work, but it
would be nice if we could tie it to actual pcre regex format changes
rather than just pcre library versions.